A small interest group with representation from IHASA, farmers, building and construction, clothing manufacture, PIRSA and the Office of Industrial Hemp and Medicinal Cannabis met in Adelaide on Friday 10 November to discuss how best the industry should be organised to take advantage of the new opportunities for SA.
The group heard how the industrial hemp growing trials were being conducted in the Riverland and South East.
There was general agreement that:
- A 5 to 10 year Strategic Plan would be developed
- The agronomy is critical to success
- Seed would be the initial target crop
- Important to quantify the cost/returns for crops
- Markets would dictate the growth of the industry
- SA likely to have competitive advantage in food products
- Collaborative cluster development could be a potential industry model.
If you would like to be involved in future discussions on industry development, please contact the Office of Industrial Hemp and Medicinal Cannabis call us on 08 8463 5630 or email OfficeIHMC@sa.gov.au.